Client, Employer, or Organization: Room B Design
Name of Contact: Michael Peel
Job Title: Design Intern
Job or Opportunity Description: Room B is a Canadian furniture design and manufacturing company located in Calgary, Alberta. Since 2010, Room B has been creating high-quality products for the home and contract markets.
Room B provides clean and modern design that is built domestically and can fit into a variety of environments. We believe good design is all-encompassing, and we strive to create products which are aesthetically pleasing, practical, affordable, and environmentally responsible.
We’re looking for an Industrial Design intern to head a new design project. This position involves research, concept development, design execution, and will have opportunities to transition into a permanent position. Our ideal candidate is highly motivated, flexible, meticulous, and has a passion for design.
Full Time (40-50 hours/week)
Competitive compensation based on relevant experience and education.
- Design research on market trends and competitors
- Communicate ideation and process through sketching and 3D modeling
- Create fully detailed parametric 3D models with Solidworks Professional
- Create full manufacturing packages for internal and vendor manufacturing
- Create fully detailed 2D technical drawings using Solidworks Professional
- Creating internal file and part management processes using Solidworks Professional and PDM Standard
- Working independently and collaboratively with a design team
- Assisting senior staff with other projects
- Project management
- Prototyping and testing
- Proficiency with Solidworks Professional and PDM
- Experience creating manufacturing packages, including drawings, CAM output, bill of materials, etc.
- Experience creating technical drawings for manufactured parts
- Comprehensive knowledge of BOM structure and change control processes
- High competency with dimensioning and tolerancing of parts and assemblies
- Experience organizing and maintaining part numbering sequences and revisions.
- Demonstrate strong attention to detail
- General understanding of furniture manufacturing process
- Familiarity with woodworking tools and machinery is an asset
- Problem-solving skills
- Experience with ergonomics and human factors
- Computer knowledge of Windows, Office, Outlook
- Proficiency in Adobe Design Suite is an asset
- Rendering experience is an asset (Keyshot + 3DS Max)
- Minimum Class 5 driver’s license
Diploma, Bachelor’s Degree, or Master’s Degree in Industrial Design, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent fields of study.
Application Deadline: 12/15/2017