Client, Employer, or Organization: Stanley Chan
Name of Contact: Stanley Chan
Phone Number: 780-235-8778
Job or Opportunity Description: Background and Requested Services
A small modern residential climbing space is currently being built within walking distance from the University of Alberta.
To enhance the space, we are seeking an artistic treatment on part (or all) of the 3D climbing surface composed of Baltic birch panels (one overhanging and one adjacent vertical wall). Potential artwork may consist of graffiti art, however, we are open to other painted art. Images or designs must be flat as climbing holds may be placed around or on top of the image. Additionally, the art will need to be durable and amenable to a clear surface coating (in order to protect and maintain the surface).
The art may be created partially or completely on site, starting as early as January 15, 2018. While the birch panels are removable, the 3D nature of the site may lend itself better to on site visualization and artistic application.
Proposals must include:
• A sketch, drawing, rendering, or photograph of the proposed artwork
• Information on the scale of the artwork
• An artist’s statement about the work, and its conceptual foundation
• The artist’s resume, including year and program of study (if applicable)
• The names and phone numbers of two references who can speak to the artist’s professionalism, quality of work, and ability to meet deadlines.
• Artworks DO NOT need to be created specifically for this proposal—works created previously for class work or personal use are acceptable for submission.
• Proposals should not be longer than three (3) pages, not inclusive of the resume(s).
• Proposals may be submitted by a current University of Alberta student or alumnus, but is not limited to such.
Artists will receive $500.00 to $750.00 for the art created, depending on scale, creativity and impressiveness of design.
• $250.00 will be delivered upon receiving the commission
• The remainder will be delivered upon completion of the project.
• This sum of money is inclusive of the cost of materials, manufacturing, and any transportation costs.
Pre-Proposal Meetings (optional)
Pre-Proposal Meetings for parties interested in submitting a proposal will be held on an individual basis, by appointment only, during the period from December 11, 2017 to January 14, 2018. Interested parties will be shown the actual climbing space for the artwork and they will then have the opportunity to ask questions regarding any proposal requirements. Interested parties should make appointments for this meeting with, or direct any questions concerning this process to, Stanley Chan at 780-235-8778 or email@example.com.
• Deadline for proposal submissions is January 14, 2018 at 11:59pm.
• Proposals and questions can be directed to: Stanley Chan, Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
• Electronic submissions to the email address listed above are strongly preferred. All electronic documents should be submitted in portable document format (.pdf).
Proposals will be evaluated on the following criteria:
60% Creativity and originality of work proposed
35% Logistical feasibility of design
5% Reference review
We reserve the right to accept none of the submitted proposals, or to extend the deadline for submissions if deemed necessary.
After evaluation of proposals, successful applicants will be contacted. Upon acceptance of the contract, the applicant will have until March 10th, 2018 to complete the project.
Estimated Compensation: $500
Application Deadline: 1/14/2018