Client, Employer, or Organization: The Works Art & Design Festival
Name of Contact: Betty-Jo Lecours
Phone Number: 7804262122
Job Title: Works to Work Summer Internship
Job or Opportunity Description: The Works Art & Design Festival Works to Work Program accepts applications for students looking for positions in the art and design field. Learn more about the intern experience at The Works Blog.
• Deadline for applications: March 1, 2018
The Works to Work Summer Internship program begins in May and runs throughout the summer. This paid program is fast-paced and connects theoretical learning with real-world applications: participants complete 46 plus hours of in-class/ home-study instruction as well as over 500 hours of practical work experience in delivering The Works Art & Design Festival. Participants benefit from working with experienced arts presenters and world class artists, while learning in a variety of ways that include assignment modules, research, student instruction, guest lectures, professional exposure, and hands-on experience.
Works to Work participants may return summer after summer to encourage ongoing skill development, progressing from Assistant to Coordinator to Supervisor to Lead Supervisor levels in each department.
Who Should Apply?
• Students and graduates of visual art and design programs, marketing, communications, public relations, and arts and cultural management programs
• Students in related fields (museums, theatre, heritage, recreation, etc.)
• Emerging artists interested in building and expanding their careers
• Persons considering a career in arts and culture
Placements available in the following 5 departments:
1. Exhibit Production & Technology: Oversee the physical aspects of 20+ exhibits and installations including venue preparation, artwork handling, install & dismantle, construction techniques, resource management, inventories, and special projects.
2. Curatorial: Administer and document festival presentations including curatorial research, registration, reporting, archiving, contracts, insurance, communications, curatorial intent, artwork handling, install & dismantle, exhibit interpretation, and audience development.
3. Design: Assist with the design of The Works Art & Design Festival marketing collateral, apply festival campaign to print and web outputs including festival guide. Internship opportunities also offered in exhibition design, industrial design, and related disciplines.
4. Marketing, Public Relations, Special Events: Develop and implement public and media outreach strategies, administer and deliver special events throughout the Festival season including the media launch, artist events, stage presentations, and celebration events.
5. Volunteer Administration: Recruit, orient, schedule, and develop event and appreciation programs for The Works volunteers. Maintain and develop relationships with volunteer organizations and community supporters. Operate volunteer headquarters during festival.
Contact Amber at (780) 426-2122 ext. 226 for more information
To apply to the Works to Work program, please include:
- A resume
- Copy of your most recent transcripts
- A cover letter, indicating the stream or streams for which you would like to apply
- Contact information for three references
Send your application to The Works Art & Design Festival, 10635 – 95 ST. NW Edmonton, AB T5H 2C3 Fax: (780) 426-4673
Or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org Please put Attn: Amber Rooke in the subject line.
Application Deadline: 4/1/2018